Given the hype surrounding this famous restaurant, I was quite excited to make my very first trip down. But ultimately couldn’t help feeling that it is overrated when I left.
1. Booked few days in advance for 6, give us a table for about 4, chucked in the corner near the rubbish bin
2. Asked to move upstairs, was told it is full. Went up to check, clearly not.
3. Table who came in much later got their food much earlier
4. Did not inform when dessert would take 20 mins to prep (we would have skipped).
5. Water refill not automatic.
6. Staff generally nonchalent
APPETIZERS. The century egg with ginger was alright although the yolk was a tad too soft. Char siew was fatty and tender, could do with less sauce to make it less sweet.
Famous place, but I won’t be coming back. Much prefer Good Year Local Hainanese Chicken Rice at Braddell.
My Rating 6/10
Food – For a chicken rice place, the chicken was disappointing. Other dishes are so-so, not something I would especially come back for.
Prices – Over priced for the portion and quality.
Boon Tong Kee
401 Balestier Road Singapore
Tel: +65 6254 3937
Website : http://www.boontongkee.com.sg/index.html